What Are The Advantages Of Steam Turbine Over The Steam Engine?
The advantages of the steam turbine over steam engine are listed below
- Steam turbine can run at high speed, it also has a wide range of operating speed.
- There are no reciprocating parts in a steam turbine, so there is no balancing problem.
- Fewer moving parts - The mechanism of turbine is simple and do not have links like piston, piston head etc. the operation of turbine quiet and smooth.
- Uniform torque and power generation – the steam turbine can produce continues power output, while the power output of engine is not continues. Steam engine gives power only in power stroke.
- Since the turbine giving continuous power output, the flywheel is not required. In the case of steam engine, the flywheel is important.
- High efficiency - the thermal efficiency of steam turbine is higher that of steam engine.
- Large overloads can carry in the expense of slight reduction in efficiency.
- Steam turbine can utilize high vacuum very advantageously.
- In a steam turbine, there is no loss due to the initial condensation of steam.
- There is no rubbing part in a steam turbine. So there is no internal lubrication is required. In case of steam engine there are rubbing parts, the lubrication is necessary to reduce friction.
- Steam turbines can build in large sizes, and they are suitable for higher output. It can be designed to very large power up to 200,000 hp or more on a single shaft.