Jet Condenser and Surface Condenser. Its Advantages and Disadvantages
The condenser is broadly classified into jet condenser and surface condenser
What is jet condenser?Jet condenser is a direct contact heat exchanger. It is also called mixing type condenser. In this type of condenser, vapour is condensed by direct contact of cold condensate (water in case of condensing of steam). The cold condenser is usually introduced to vapour in the form of a spray or jet (that is the reason it called jet condenser). As soon as the steam contact with cold water it gives up enthalpy (heat) and ultimately condenses.
Advantages and disadvantages of jet condenserAdvantages:
- The construction is simple.
- Installation and maintenance cost is low
- It requires less floor space when compared to the surface condenser.
- The mixing of vapour and condensing medium reduces the amount condensing medium required.
- Not suitable high capacity plants
- Wastage of condensate. If condensate is to be recirculated to the system, the condensing medium should be free from harmful impurities.
- If the condensate extraction pump fails, there is a greater possibility of flooding of condenser.
What is surface condenser?
Surface condenser is indirect heat exchange (non-mixing type condenser). In this type, the vapour and condensing medium is separated by a heat conducting medium. Example: Shell and tube condenser. The heat from vapour first absorbed by the surface (wall) then transferred to the condensing medium. Here the condensate and condensing medium leave the condenser separately.
Advantages and disadvantages of surface condenserAdvantages:
- Condensate is free from impurities. It can recirculate to the system.
- Since there is no mixing, cooling medium (water) of poor quality can be used. This advantage reduces the cost of water treatment.
- Cooling of condensate can be easily controlled by regulating the flow of cooling medium.
- Suitable for large plants
- Greater plant efficiency
- Capital cost and maintenance cost are high
- Jet condenser is bulky compared to the jet condenser.
- Leakage and fouling of cooling medium pipeline.
- Need more cooling water (cooling medium).