Comparison between Steam Separator and Steam Trap
🔗Different types of boiler accessories and their functions
Steam separator and steam trap are almost same in function. Both used to avoid the problem caused by water residue in the steam.
- The steam separator is a device which separates water particle from steam.
- It used to increase the dryness fraction (quality) of steam before it enters into turbine or engine.
- They usually employ a chamber to collect condensate and a drain valve which activates automatically as per the pre-set water level in the chamber.
- Large surface areas exposed to an environment that causes considerable heat loss. Some of them need an insulation jacket to avoid heat loss.
- They mainly classified into baffle separator, centrifugal separator, and mechanical coalescing separator.
- Steam trap filter out condensate and non-condensate gases such as air, CO2 without leaking of steam.
- The main function is to avoid accumulation of condensate in steam ducts and pipe.
- They are simply automatic valves working under different mechanism.
- Radiation loss is very low as compared to steam separators.
- They are classified into the thermostatic trap, mechanical trap (or density trap), and thermodynamic trap.
Common problems associated with steam system